IFCM: “volunteers connecting our choral world”
The International Federation for Choral Music (IFCM) was founded in 1982 for the purpose of facilitating communication and exchange between choral musicians throughout the world. Through its diverse range of projects and programs since that time, the IFCM is fulfilling its purpose.
In a world that develops more and more sophisticated weapons, that lives with the expansion of terrorism and fear, that disrespects and abuses the environment, choral singing can be one of the most powerful unifying forces between nations. Differences in culture, political ideology, race and language disappear when people sing together.
How can people who join together in song in harmony fight one another?
IFCM was established as an appointment of UNESCO, and is the official representative of choral music on the International Music Council. The International Music Council recognizes that there are perhaps more people in the world participating in choral music than in any other group artistic activity. The IMC also acknowledges that choral musicians need an organization such as IFCM to encourage and facilitate international communication and cooperation.
Through the work of a volunteer team of leading choral professionals, the IFCM:
- Aims to give every citizen of the world the opportunity to access choral music as an Art form
- Helps preserve choral music and cultural diversity.
- Fosters development in choral music world-wide.
- Acts as a world-wide reference organization and advocate for choral music and its development.
- Strengthens cooperation between national and international organizations and individuals interested in all aspects of choral music.
- Encourages the formation of choral organizations in countries and regions where none exist.
- Develops and promotes international exchange programs for choirs, conductors, composers, and students of choral music.
- Nurtures and encourages composers and other creative artists in the development of new artistic work.
- Creates, promotes, coordinates, and nurtures choral festivals, seminars, competitions, and meetings organized by its members.
- Facilitates the creation and dissemination of choral repertoire, research, recordings, and other appropriate materials.
The IFCM operates on a non-profit basis.