THIRD INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION FOR CHORAL COMPOSITION
Download the application form on https://goo.gl/fyfHpe
NOTIFICATION AND REGULATIONS
1. The International Federation for Choral Music (IFCM) announces the ‘Third International Competition for Choral Composition’, the chief aim of which is to promote the creation and wide distribution of new and innovative choral repertoire.
2. Participation is open to composers of any nationality or age.
3. The Competition is dedicated to choral compositions a cappella (SATB or divided into as many as eight parts, SSAATTBB) with a maximum duration of 5 minutes, specifically for medium to advanced youth choirs. The text of the composition, sacred or secular, in any language, written for the occasion or pre-existing should be in the public domain. If not, permission in writing must be obtained from the author or copyright holder of the text and must be enclosed with the entry form.
4. There is a 25 USD entry fee payable at the time of submission for each entry.
5. Only one work per composer may be submitted. Scores must be sent electronically either in PDF format made from Sibelius or Finale files or in a similar program. A midi file may also be included with any submission. Tapes or CDs may not be submitted. The composer’s name must not appear anywhere on any score. The IFCM Competition Office will receive all works, which will then be sent to jury members. No composer’s identity will be divulged to the jury before or during judging. The jury’s decision will be announced in the ICB and in the IFCM website. Each participant must include a document (.doc or .PDF file) with full address, contact details and title of the composition submitted. This document must also contain a written, signed statement by the composer declaring that any score submitted is unpublished, has never previously been performed, and has never been awarded a prize in any previous contest. Entries must arrive by the entry form no later than 1st December 2017. Works cannot be revised after submission.
6. The competition will be judged by a five-member jury consisting of international choral conductors and composers. The jury’s decision is final.
7. Strong consideration will be given to a work’s potential for performance and for the prospect of repeated performances by a medium to advanced SATB (SSAATTBB) youth choir possessing the appropriate voicing requirements. The winning work must demonstrate excellence of compositional craft, imagination, ‘sing-ability’ (given reasonable rehearsal time), idiomatic effectiveness and, most importantly a fresh approach to choral writing.
8. The winning works will receive the following:
First Prize: 5,000 USD, IFCM Awards Certificate and plaque
Second Prize: 2,500 USD, IFCM Awards Certificate and plaque
Third Prize: 1,000 USD, IFCM Awards Certificate and plaque
The composers of the three winning works will be invited to Shanghai for the IFCM Choral Expo 2018, where their pieces will be premiered by appointed participating choirs. IFCM will take care of travel and lodging expenses of the invited composers. In consultation with the composers, the three winners will be featured in the ‘Composers’ Corner’ column of the International Choral Bulletin where an interview with the composers and some excerpts of the winning scores may be published in print and on-line.
9. The copyright to the winning works will always remain with the composers and librettists.
10. Participation in the competition implies full knowledge and acceptance of these regulations.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Andrea Angelini, Artistic Director of the Competition (email@example.com)